wagonwheels, was: <VV> Tired of tires?

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Tue, 25 May 2004 20:15:29 -0400

This thread reminds me of the old illustration Richard Finch used make,
"I will start off on the subject of wheels and tires by saying that for
practical purposes, the only wheel/tire combination for a Corvair
automobile is a 175 x 13 Michelin on a stock steel wheel."

In the new eighth edition of this book, it reads, "185 x 13". You will
remember how Finch went on and on about the evils of wide tires. Under
"revised info" he now states that there are some "very interesting"
fourteen-inch wheels and tires now available and that if you're careful
you can buy some "really nice looking radial fourteen-inch tires that
will work very well on a 1960 to 1969 Corvair car." Oh HORRERS!
FOURTEEN-INCH WHEELS!!!

He goes on to recommend, "The best tire diameter for a Corvair with a
3.55 ratio rear axle is 24.00" diameter..." He includes a very
inaccurate table which shows 6,50-13's to be 24.00 D., and 7.00-13's
24.75". Finch's misinformation abounds!

Have any of you seen a new seven-series BMW? Do you happen to know the
diameter of their wheels and the sizes of tires they use? How about a
new Chrysler 300C? Or a Cadillac XLR, or whatever that Corvette-based
roadster is. Sixteen-inch wheels are essentially standard-issue on cars
these days. True, they don't all use 50-series tires, but many do use
larger wheels with lower (45) series tires.

It's 2004; wake up! Tire technology has come a long way in the past
20-years when the radical new Corvette debuted with 16-inch wheels and
255/50 Gatorbacks. With the proper springs and shocks a Corvair can be
built that has superb road-holding while retaining a good ride.

Bruce

On May 25, 2004, at 6:23 PM, Ron F Hinz wrote:

> You won't get flamed from here!  There's no excuse for the ride you
> get from
> 50 section tires and the Corvair is no racing machine by a long shot.
> There's no reason why it shouldn't have a decent ride, which it'll
> never
> have with wannabe racer wheels and tires.  Of course, there are those
> who
> don't care and are looking for any excuse to spend more money......
> RonH

Bruce W, Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC