<VV> Tired of tires?

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Tue, 25 May 2004 18:43:37 -0400

I don't disagree with you _greatly_, but larger diameter rims and sticky tires take handling to limits far beyond smaller, harder tires.

There is, of course, an upper limit. I have 45 series Kumho MX's  on 17" rims on my Allante. Roadholding is _outstanding_ and ride is not substantially
different from 15 or 16" Z-rated tires.  However, I've riden in Allantes on 18 and 19" rims and there was a definite degradation of ride without a similar
increase in roadholding.

In a Corvair, unsprung weight is of high concern.

I could simply not believe how much more enjoyable the car was to drive when I went from heavy 14x7 steel ralleys to 13x6 Minilites. But with suitable
13" tires almost impossible to find, I went back up to 15x7 Minilites (actually a Western Wheel copy)... and Z-rated 225/50/15 tires. Lighter than the
14x7 steels, but much heavier than the 13x6's. (The car is tightly sprung on HD springs cut a coil, Carerras on "hard", and poly bushes.)

Roadholding is the best I've had on a a street Corvair on non-R tires. But the ride is not good and the car is really ponderous to drive. My wife's
convertible (on V-rated 205/65-14's on steel 14x6 rims) is a much nicer drive...

So it depends on what you want... but I think I've gone too far for a driver....

Sure do wish I could get small sticky tires (like a 205/70-13).... but all of the smaller sizes are "economy" compounds....

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD