<VV> Ignitor II followup

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Wed, 26 May 2004 13:36:21 EDT

<snipped>, My comments interspersed
From: "Anil Mittal"
Subject: <VV> Ignitor II followup

4) I have 12.25 V at the coil + with the engine not running >>> Normal, no
load

5) I have 9.65 V at the coil + with the coil - shorted to ground

6) I have 14.5 V at the coil + with the engine running >>> Too high
>>> #6 This seems too high, for a "running" voltage.  Did you accidently
bypass the ignition resistor?  In my understanding, that's a no-no and will fry
you ignitor.
There are two "legal" Pertronix hook-ups:
A) Ignition coil runs from ballast (resistor wire) AND Pertronix runs from
ballast (resistor wire)
OR
B) Ignition coil runs from ballast (resistor wire), Pertronix runs from
switched 12v sourced from the bulkhead connector.

In my understanding, it's a no-no to run the coil without a resistor.  Excess
current can fry the Pertronix and the coil can overheat.

7) The timing is currently about 2X the scale on the rear housing in
drive at 600 RPM. The timing mark is just about in the area where the
belt contacts the balancer. When the engine is revved the timing mark
moves down more.
   Should I move the plug wires in the cap to advance the timing so
that I have more adjustment in the distributor and just drive it or
will I do some harm? Thank you for any help. Anil

>>> Yes Anil, move the wires.  It will damage the engine (and maybe the
starter) to run it too far advanced.  Let us know if this puts you in the right
range.  You have too much advance now.  You might find that the timing is too far
the otherway after moving the wires, 'cause 1/6 turn is 60 degrees on the
distrubutor but 120 degrees at the crankshaft. You might have to move the
distributor a tooth instead.  Try shifting the wires first. As far a harm is
concerned, the engine doesn't care about the orientation of the distributor, only the
actual timing.  If the timing is right, the engine will be happy.  The only
concern with the distributor orientation is in colliding with the shroud, a/c
belt, or smog belt and the available length of the sparkplug wires.
Craig Nicol