<VV> Rally Wheel Question...Answered!

Corvair6t5@aol.com Corvair6t5@aol.com
Thu, 27 May 2004 00:00:15 EDT

Hi all....Thanks to all who responded to my questions early last week
regarding rally wheels. After discussing the issue with one of our members here in
Indy (who's also the manager of a Firestone store), he suggested I expand my
tire options and go to 15x7 rims. With that in mind, I kept checking eBay, but I
didn't see a decent used set that were that much cheaper than a new set.
Fortunately, the Spring Hoosier Auto Swap Meet was this past weekend. The same gent
who's there every year with new wheels was there again, so Saturday I aquired
the 15x7 rims, rings, and centers "for cheap". I then loaded them in the car
and headed for Bill Clark at Firestone, who had all my choices ready for me by
the time I got there. I went with the 195-60-15 Firehawks. The diameter to
the original 13" tire was practically identical. I mounted them Saturday
afternoon (the tires on the car, that is), and did a little cruising Saturday night.
I got more nods & thumbs-up that day than I had for the past 6 months! Here's
a little "Then & Now" for you:

Then: http://roadtripmemories.com/images/roadmaven/corvair2.JPG

Now: http://roadtripmemories.com/images/roadmaven/corvair7.JPG

Oh, and I really got to break them in this afternoon. The Wednesday before
the Indy 500, they open up the track for "Community Day" and let you take a lap
around the Speedway in your own car for a mere $5. Sure, they had police
strategically placed around the track to make sure you were being good, but I
gassed it a little whenever the coast was clear!

Thanks again for all the help on this....much appreciated!

Pat Bremer
Speedway, IN
Circle City Corvairs, Indianapolis
http://roadtripmemories.com