<VV> Flywheel Rivet Replacement

VairMech@aol.com VairMech@aol.com
Thu, 27 May 2004 07:37:07 EDT

In a message dated 5/26/2004 8:05:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lcm8044@yahoo.com writes:
I wanted to prove to myself that the rivets were loose, there is nothing that
moves or that would visually note one or more being loose. While it was still
bolted to the crank shaft I struck the flywheel with a small ball peen
hammer. The result was a sound much like a tuning fork, that placing my hand on the
flywheel did not stop. The sound was coming from the piece of metal sandwiched
in the center. Then again, the sound may mean nothing, but the rivets are
coming out, one broken snout is enough. The last step is trip to the local
balance shop.

    You have not described any of the classic loose rivit stories. A broken
snout only comes from one thing, hanging the engine on the input shaft while
installing or removing the engine.
    Also, it sounds like you have a good flywheel according to your
description.
    For an inexperienced person doing this the first time I would only
attempt this with a good flywheel and only do 4 rivits at a time. That way you do
not loose the center on the flywheel. If the face goes off center even by a
1/32" you can balance the flywheel but the pressure plate will then be off center
and out of balance also.
    You are close enough to Dale Mfg. to drive there to pick up a flywheel
and his are guaranteed, Underground might be closer. You say you only want to do
this once.
    Ken Hand