<VV> brazing help needed

John McMahon jmac2112@adelphia.net
Thu, 27 May 2004 20:21:49 -0400

Anyone out there know how to braze?  I haven't actually needed to do any on
my car, but it seemed like a neat trick to add to my small collection of
skills.  I went out and bought a flux coated rod, and tried my hand at it
with very little success.  I figured maybe the 1/8" rod was too thick for
what I was trying to do, so I turned it down on the bench grinder and used
flux from a can.  Still nada.  The ONLY way I can get it to flow is if I
heat the steel until it is ALMOST MOLTEN, and then put the rod on it and
direct the flame at the rod.  I have tried this with pieces of metal from 18
gauge on up to 1/4", and can't get it to work like Finch and others say it
should.  What am I doing wrong?   Maybe the hardware store variety of rod is
not what I need.   I am using a regular oxy/acet welding outfit, BTW.

Thanks,

John McMahon
1965 Monza coupe