<VV> re: Matching engine number

Russ Moorhouse corvair65@verizon.net
Fri, 28 May 2004 23:29:49 -0400

Steve,

If  what you are asking is:  "Is there some way of telling if the engine in
your Corvair, the original engine for the car with that VIN"; then there is
no way of knowing for certain when both the VIN and the engine are of the
same year.  The only way to tell for certain is if the previous owner has
the original warranty book that came with the car when it was new.  It has a
metal tag on the inside back cover that has the VIN and engine ID for that
car stamped.  This is often referred to as the protecto-plate and you really
need this when you make the claim this car is original with matching
numbers.

The whole Chevy line during this time period came with these warranty
book/plates.  Without out them you have no way of knowing from the VIN if
your V8 Chevy came with a 283 or a 327 or 396 etc.., since the VIN only
signified a 6 or an 8.  This is where you get conned when someone says it is
the original 409 engine.  Without this warranty plate you have no proof that
it is.

This plate is also embossed with the original owners name, date of purchase,
and  2 other groups of number which relate to the transmission, rear axle
serial numbers.  With this plate and all the numbers for the engine,
transmission, and axle matching those on the plate you can say the car is
original with all matching numbers.  Unfortunately, a matching number car
doesn't seem to add any value or mean much to Corvair collectors, as it
would if it were a Corvette and any other muscle cars of the 60's and 70's.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member
Kent Island, MD