<VV> PG 140 crank vs standard crank (Oops, earlier post got it backwards)

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Sat, 29 May 2004 12:08:55 EDT

(Thanks to my mentor, Bob Helt, who pointed out that I had the information
correct but the direction backwards!  Oops, sorry!) Please ignore the last post!

This is the REAL story:
The crank gear is retarded 4 degrees through a differently machined crank
hub/gear.  This revised gear retards the cam to raise the cams peak torque rpm.
You can convert the crank by changing the hub.  Changing the hub requires a big
(20T) press but with that equipment, isn't too big a deal. There's a thin
paper gasket that must be replaced too or the hub will leak onto the flywheel.

You can also get this benefit (raising the peak torque rpm by about 100 rpm
per cam degree) by retarding the cam with a split key at the cam gear.  I don't
know if the 4 degrees that is specified for the PG140 is in cam degrees or
crank degrees.  I assume it is in cam degrees.  Does anybody know?

I plan to do this change soon myself . My '67 has the 889 cam with a PG140
crank; it's so much fun to drive, I'm going to do the same thing to my '66 EFI
car.  The PG 140 mid-range torque is phenomenal in front of an manual trans and
it really responds when the secondaries open at lower rpms!
Anybody know about the cam-degree question?
Craig Nicol