<VV> Aftermarket parts (little or no Corvair)

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Sun, 30 May 2004 09:34:11 EDT

One of my clients (I do technical editing for auto companies) posed an
interesting question to me;  I'm sure there are some on the list that have the
answer and I think the topic will be an interesting thread.  Here's the question:
Where to makers of aftermarket parts (for example; fuel pumps, sensors, wheel
cylinders) get their specifications?  Do they reverse engineer OE parts? Do
they obtain specifications from the OEM?  Do they merely re-label parts from
other makers?  Also, I kinda remember something about the OEMs being legally
required to provide specifications to aftermarket makers?  Anyone know about how
this works?
TIA
Craig Nicol