<VV> Re:Floorboards, again. (Ron F Hinz)

Gary mopar@jbcs2.net
Mon, 31 May 2004 07:12:26 -0400

Admittedly I have never done a corvair floorboard, but I did replace the
trunk floor in a 67 dodge coronet, and trust me there are way more spot
welds in that. In any event, I too bought one of those spot weld cutters,
lasted only slightly longer than yours. What I did end up doing was getting
a supply of fresh 1/8 drill bits and drilling through the center of the spot
welds. I then followed up with a 1/4 or larger bit (as needed) and drilled
completely through the welds. then pried up the pan with a "lady foot" pry
bar untill I came to a weld I missed or needed a larger hole. Note I said I
drilled through the spot weld, that means I also drilled through the
support. This leaves you with plenty of holes in the support which then can
be used as guiides as to where to weld with your mig. as for finding the
welds I cleaned up the area with a wire wheel, but you will find plenty more
once you start prying.

There were plenty of areas which had to be cleaned up with my angle grinder.
Only took me a week, with help to accomplish in my "spare time"  which was
4-5 hours a day.

Have fun.......

Gary Swiatowy

> Message: 14
> From: "Ron F Hinz" <ronh@owt.com>
> To: <VirtualVairs@corvair.org>
> Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 22:21:30 -0700
> Subject: <VV> Floorboards, again.
>
> I know that several responses have shown up indicating that some owners
have
> actually changed floorboards, so tell me, how did you find and cut the
> spot-weld on the front floor supports??  The rust completely obscures the
> welds so they are completely hidden from the top, and an Eastwood spot
weld
> cutter lasted for about two trial cuts before it was so dull it wouldn't
cut
> anymore.  Grinding off the whole strip of floor on each side of each
support
> seems like an awful task.  What was done by those who've tried it?
Please!