<VV> More About Early Throwout Bearings

David V. Clamp 66corsa@cox.net
Mon, 31 May 2004 17:33:42 -0400

Snip----------------------
According to the Clarks catalog, the height listed in the shop manual is 1
7/8 inch.  The replacement is listed at 1 5/16 inch.  That is a difference
of 9/16 inch.  That seems like a lot to me.
Unsnip--------------------

Charles,

Actually, Clark's is stating that they believe the shop manual figures are
wrong. They've sold TO bearings for years and haven't had a problem with the
heights they list.

If you have a 1-5/16" TO bearing and an early style pressure plate and
flywheel, you have the correct TO bearing. I checked Corvair Underground's
catalog as well, but they don't specify the heights. Maybe a good thing
since the shop manual heights seem to be a source of confusion. Do keep in
mind that the parts can't be mixed together. You need either all LM parts,
or all EM parts.

David V Clamp
Member: Corsa
              Heart of Georgia Corvairs - Newsletter Editor, VP
              Nader's Raiders
1966 Corsa convertible 140 +0.030/4spd w/ AC
mailto:66corsa@cox.net