<VV> Quick steering

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 20:31:32 -0500

I've never tried quick steering, but I don't think it's for me. I find the
wheel a bit of a challenge in parking situations (holding a . . . beverage .
. . in one hand and shifting with the other, of course). So while I'd LOVE
to try a Corvair with quick steering, I doubt I'd change over (JUST
installed a newly rebuilt standard steering gear).
     But Craig, I wonder if the car you like has the factory combo of quick
ratio AND quick arms, and the other car has only the arms, or some variation
like that. Your report that aftermarket arms work well on your 66 and
(what?) works poorly on your 67 almost sounds the opposite of what others
have said about factory vs aftermarket in this area.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C and standard steering (nylon
Pitman-arm bushing)

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of NicolCS@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 11:56 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org; vairologist@juno.com
Subject: <VV> Quick steering

<snip>Smitty says: Quick steering arms come in about 5 lengths.  NOS GM ones
are the most mild and some of the after market ones are awful.  Bad tire
scrub in the turns and bad bump steer characteristics.  It's kind of like
be careful what you ask for, you might get it.<unsnip>

Ah ha!  Your comment about different lengths explains why my '66 with a/m
arms is a joy and my '67 is such a PITA.  I always convert my cars, the
original
steering ratio is just so doggone slow.  I find the conversion to be one of
the most satisfying little mods that one can do - except on my '67 where the
steering is now so difficult.  Everytime I drive the car I think that either
I'm
getting older or the car has a flat tire.  Now I know why.  Does anyone have
any measurement data about the different lengths available?
Thanks, Craig Nicol