<VV> powerglide rebuilding questions

Ken Wardlow kwardlow1@cox.net
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 21:12:07 -0700

Good evening all,
I would like to ask if anyone has rebuilt a powerglide transmission,and if
so how difficult a task it is for the do it yourselfer? Also,what,if
any special tools are really  required.I am trying to decide if I can(or
should) do it myself,or get a rebuilt powerglide from one of the vendors.If
it
is not overly complicated and if some of the special tools in the shop
manual are not really required,I feel I may give it a shot.I have all the
appropriate
shop manuals.I do all my own mechanical work,and have rebuilt a couple of
engines,differentials and manual transmissions,
so that is why I am thinking about giving the powerglide rebuild a try.
Looking through the shop manuals,I do have a couple of questions,mainly
about some of bushings.Specifically the removal
and installation.Use a chisel or other suitable device and be careful not to
scratch the bores,seems rather crude.But that is removal method advocated by
the shop manuals.Does
anyone have any tricks to remove the bushings without destroying the
bores?And what type of drivers to use to re-install them?Can one use
appropriately sized sockets or something similar?

Thanks in advance,
Ken Wardlow