<VV> powerglide rebuilding questions

Bill Hubbell Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@umich.edu
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:49:53 -0500

Ken,

I have rebuilt several Powerglides myself.  It is really not very difficult
at all, and you don't actually need any special tools - just need to know a
few tricks to get around those areas where the shop manual call for special
tools.  The most important thing is to get everything perfectly clean for
assembly -- dirt is your enemy.

The first trick is for removing the front pump cover without using slide
hammers.
This method was developed by Smitty Smith and was submitted to the
Communiqui several years ago but for some reason was never published.

Step 1: remove all but two of the inner circle of bolts.  The two remaining
bolts should be loosened slightly - enough to get a flat bladed screwdriver
under the head (these two bolts should be as close to 180 degrees from each
other as possible).

Step 2: Remove all of the outer circle of bolts EXCEPT for the two next to
the remaining inner bolts.  Loosen these two remaining outer bolts about
five or six turns.

Step 3: Take two flat bladed screw drivers and set their blades under the
inner bolt heads and, using the outer bolts as fulcrums. pry up and the pump
cover and pump will come up with no problem.

The second trick is for to removing the clutch drum and reverse piston
spring retainers.  the shop manual calls for a press and special 3 pronged
J-tools, but these are not necessary.  All you need are three bolts, nuts
and washers, a piece of flat bar stock (I actually use a small steering
wheel puller) and a work surface with a hole drilled in it.

Step 1:  Set the part (clutch drum or reverse piston) on the work surface
centered over the hole.

Step 2: Insert two bolts into the outer holes of the steering wheel puller
(if using bar stock you need to drill three holes in it), center the center
hole of the puller over the part, align the bolts to press on the retainer
ring, and secure them with nuts and washers.

Step 3: Insert the (longer) bolt through the center hole of the puller,
part, and work surface, and attach nuts and washers.  Slowly tighten the
center bolt until the retainer ring is depressed enough to remove the
retainer snap ring.

Step 4: Loosen and remove the center bolt.

Insertion is the reverse of the above, going slowly to avoid misalignment.

Bushings can be removed using a good bench vise and appropriate sized
sockets, or you could also use bolts and nuts to press them in and out.

The biggest problem is the proper selection of the front selective thrust
washer (page 6E-24 of the 61 shop manual).  There are way to do this besides
using the special tool, and Bob Ballew explains how in his book "Powerglide
Transmissions - more than you ever wanted to know" available from the
Corvanatics chapter.  However, keep in mind that you can probably just reuse
the washer already on your transmission as long as you are attaching it to
the same differential it was originally mated to.

There are several articles in the Tech Guide about rebuilding and inspecting
Powerglides, and these should be read along with the shop manual in order to
do a good job.

Good Luck!

Bill Hubbell