<VV> U can lead a vair to gas but Can't make it drink

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:17:57 -0500

There's a cam under the pushrod (that's its name) that makes it go up, but
it may not go back down unless something pushes it back down. If something
does, then it will reciprocate as designed. The pushrod CAN be too short
from wear, but that's unusual (and hard to discern) and the cam can get
rounded, but that's even MORE unusual. There is supposed to be a spring
perched atop the pushrod. If the spring isn't in place, the pushrod may not
as far as it's supposed to be when you install it. Look at the side of the
tube under the pump. You'll see a dimple in it. Now look at the hole you put
that tube into (on the engine). You'll see a pointed screw going into that
hole from the side. The point of that screw is supposed to go into that
dimple. It's not hard to get once you're looking (feeling) for it.
     People who give up on this original factory mechanical pump system get
around it by installing electric fuel pumps. These are not expensive, nor
difficult to install, but they can be noisy, and if a float valve ever fails
on one of your carburetors, you can get into real trouble (hydrolock). I've
seen this on one Corvair.
     I use the mechanical system. Once you get it going, it goes and goes.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

PS  You craft a great subject line. You must be very creative, perhaps with
words?