<VV> County puts Junk Car Measure on Hold

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:10:46 -0500

Way to go Hank.  I thought your comments as presented in the previous email
were very good.  A model for anyone else who has to support the car hobby.

Chuck S

-----Original Message-----
From: Hank Kaczmarek [mailto:kaczmarek@charter.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 3:39 PM
To: Virtualvairs
Subject: <VV> County puts Junk Car Measure on Hold

All

>From the tri-weekly "Voice of Lincoln County", The Lincoln Times News:

COUNTY PUTS JUNK CAR MEASURE ON HOLD

    Planning board members Monday night put the brakes on a proposal that
would lower the number of junk cars people can keep on their property.
    Current rules allow four cars; the proposed change would drop the number
to one.
    A number of residents spoke against the proposal.
    Hank Kaczmarek restores and collects Corvair automobiles. He said the
new
rule would be a blow to him and other car enthusiasts who often have
vehicles
sitting on their land while making repairs or waiting to start projects.
    Having a parts car or a project car to restore is important to our
hobby"
he said.
    "While he is empathetic to those who have to deal with actual junk cars
near their homes, he urged the boards to exlude hobby cars from the proposed
definition.
"One man's junk is another man's treasure, dream or project", Kaczmarek
said.
    And he wasn't alone.
    Lisa Duncan, whose husband restores cars, said she has nine cars on her
property and they all run. She said the new rule would create a hardship on
people and move the county toward a Dictatorship-like environment.
"If you don't want to see a junk vehicle, turn your head" she said.
    Resident Robert Blackburn, who lives near a junkyard, said he is in
favor
of the change, but does not want it to affect automobile hobbyists.
    In a seperate meeting after the hearing, the planning board decided to
table the request and have staff memebers take another look at it, said
Zoning
Administrator Randy Hawkins.
    "We're going to look at some way to address the concerns of people who
restore cars", Hawkins said.
    They'll be looking at the policies of neighboring cities and counties to
get a better idea of any other governments make exceptions, he said.
    The Planning board has a work shop scheduled for Nov. 18 when the topic
will likely be discussed.

Since Hank's not working right now, I'll be there to keep the Gestapo
honest.

HANK