<VV> The Radial Conundrum

Shaun shaun_mcgarvey@shaw.ca
Thu, 04 Nov 2004 22:57:28 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Songs by Steve" Subject: <VV> The Radial Conundrum

> Hello again, groupies.
> I've been doing a little research, and it appears that almost
> overwhelmingly, people feel that radials on 'Vairs are a great improvement
> over belted tires.

Actually, belted tires haven't been available except as trailer tires for
like 30 years, so I'd say only an idiot would prefer 30 year old tires to
anything new, BUT ...
I'm old enough to have driven corvairs on bias belted tires and loved the
way that the "turn-in", the initial feel of the start of the turn was crisp
and precise, unlike radials. I didn't like the way that worn bias-ply tires
would grab the ruts in the pavement and sometimes make unintended lane
changes. I did like the predictability and linear cohesion factor. By
"linear" I mean that the tires would slide x amount with y amount of
steering input and 2x amount with 2y amount of steering input. Radials have
a much higher cornering limit, but when you pass that limit breakaway is
more sudden and unpredictable.
That said, try 21 lbs in the front and 32 in the rear for a combination of
sporting ability and ride comfort.<G>

yea, Vairily ... Shaun

---