<VV> The Radial Conundrum

James Davis jld@wk.net
Thu, 04 Nov 2004 22:13:21 -0600

Well not exactly.  Air pressure in radial tires does two things it cushions
the ride and it supports the tire.  Most car tires are sized so that they
can carry the full loaded weigh of the car with just a llitle to
spare.  This requires the tire be filled to close to its rated maximum
pressure. It also improves the fuel economy to use as small a tire as
possible with maximum air pressure.   Thus GM sized the 65 Corvair with
6.50 x 13 2 ply (4 ply rated) Firestone bias tires.  Tire technology has
really improved since then.  Considering that a Corvair will rarely have
more than 1,000 on the front tires, it doesn't take much air pressure to
support the front.  Consider a 185/70-13 it is rated at 1135 lbs at 35 psi
or 500 lbs at 16 psi.  The rear tires are another problem.  There could be
as much as 1,900 lbs on the rear.  Figure 29 psi to carry a 950 lb
load.   Secondly to create the desired understeer (push) so necessary to
keep the average driver out of trouble GM recommended a 10 psi difference
in front and rear tire pressure.  I run 195/70-14 on my Corsa and find the
18 psi on the front and 28 on the rear to be the best..  But then I like a
stiff ride
Jim Davis