<VV> The Radial Conundrum

Songs by Steve Songsbysteve@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:17:28 -0500

Hello again, groupies.

I've been doing a little research, and it appears that almost
overwhelmingly, people feel that radials on 'Vairs are a great improvement
over belted tires.  When I bought my '62 convertible, I immediately put a
set of fresh 185/13 radials on the car.  The guys at the tire place said
they were going to send my old tires to the "tire museum", as they were a
mixed bunch of belted tires from the early 70's.. shined like glass, and as
hard as diamonds!!

My question is about the best tire pressure.  I've been told that too little
pressure in a radial will damage the steel belts, and on the other hand,
radials.. in a perfect world should have approx. equal pressure in all 4
tires.  I think 15 psi in the front is too low for radials, so I currently
have about 20-22 psi in the front, and approx. 28 psi in the rear tires.  I
do only normal driving around town and on the H-way.  The tires feel fine,
etc., but I seek the "wisdom of the group" on whether there is an ideal
range for air pressure.

My feelings can best be summed up in the following song, sung to the tune of
"twinkle twinkle little star":

---

Tire Pressure where are you?

I need advice on what to do