<VV> Corvair Handling

slmizel@juno.com slmizel@juno.com
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:59:33 GMT

I had a Corvair in the '80s and really don't remember the hendling being squirrly.  I also don't remember doing any basic maintenance on it since I fried its engine a week after I started driving it (broken belt -- WAY overheated).  A friend and I tore it down and it never got back together.  When I bought my "new" vair last spring I almost killed myself the first time I drove it on the highway.  The front end was drifting all over the place -- so much so that I slowed down to 45 mph and even then was stressing a bit (normally no big deal, but I just happened to be driving it home in St. Louis 270 rush hour traffic).  I checked the tire pressure -- sure enough, 32# all around.  I dropped the front to around 18# and the back to around 28#...but I still find it a bit drifty, especially under hard acceleration (well, it has been a few months since it has been accerated at all, but I am hoping to have it back on the road this weekend with the generous help of Bob Bauer)...so I am anticipating making a few changes to tighten it up...my wife won't drive it the way it is.  Do you guys have any suggestions?  The drift is much better with proper tire pressure, but still present...BTW, all the bushings look sound from an visual inspection.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Steve Mizel
CORSA/Show Me CC
65 Corsa Vert 140/4 (still in group red...)