<VV> Corvair Handling

Rick Loving ral1963@earthlink.net
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:40:49 -0500

There are several things that will make vair "dartly" at speed.
1. improper tires pressure
2. Improper alignment
3. Lack of a front airdam
4. worn bushings/steering componets

Looks like you solved the tire pressure problem and feel the bushings
and steering linkage is good.  I would say have the alignment checked,
as even the sightest bit of toe out or uneven setting side to side will
cause the car to be really squirrelly.  Check you front tires for uneven
wear or scrub on the inside or outside edge on one tire more than the
other.

My alignment recommendations for casual street driving are

FRONT TIRES
CAMBER =0 positive
TOE IN = 1/8 IN overall
CASTER = 2.5 deg Positive

REAR TIRES
CAMBER = .5 Negative
TOE IN = 1/16 each (1/8 overall)

And for more spirited driving style

	FRONT TIRES
CAMBER = .5 Negative
TOE IN = 1/8 IN overall
CASTER = 4 deg Positive

REAR TIRES
CAMBER = 1 Negative
TOE IN = 1/16 each (1/8 overall)

The toe is important as it affects the "darting" the most.

If you have a pre 66, without airdam, get the 66-69 front airdam it
makes the front end a lot more stable.  Also move the spare to the front
and only move it to the back if you need to use the trunk.

Rick Loving

PS. Part of you visual inspection should be jacking front of the car up
and while you watch the steering components from underneath, have
someone turn the wheel slowly right to left. Everything should move at
the same time, and parts moving before the other means the bushings are
not in top shape.

 <SNIP>
I bought my "new" vair last spring I almost killed myself the first time
I drove it on the highway.  The front end was drifting all over the
place -- so much so that I slowed down to 45 mph and even then was
stressing a bit (normally no big deal, but I just happened to be driving
it home in St. Louis 270 rush hour traffic).  I checked the tire
pressure -- sure enough, 32# all around.  I dropped the front to around
18# and the back to around 28#...but I still find it a bit drifty,
especially under hard acceleration (well, it has been a few months since
it has been accerated at all, but I am hoping to have it back on the
road this weekend with the generous help of Bob Bauer)...so I a!