<VV> Corvair Handling

Roy & Kay Lambrecht lambchop@wctc.net
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:40:05 -0600

Hi all,

Here is my two cents on front end wander.........Works for me & everyone else
I have helped.

Below is the last Tech Tip I wrote for the local club here in
WI..........NEWCC

Tech Tips

By Roy W. Lambrecht

Corvair Front End Wander

Does your Corvair seem to wander on the highway? Sure, you have replaced all
tie rods, relay rod bushing, idler arm even adjusted the steering gear. Yes,
tire pressures are 18# front & 34# rear with belted tires. After that, you
took in for a front-end alignment at your favorite alignment shop in town.

But, it still doesn't hold a straight line down the road. What could be
wrong?

I have had many Corvair owners email or call me on this problem. Even my 64
convertible did it and it had everything done by the previous owner like I
listed above.

I looked up the front end specs on all years and found this:

The 1960-61 Corvairs had their toe-in set to: 3/16 inch

In 1962 they changed the toe-in to:  < to 3/8 inch

Quite a dramatic change...I wonder how many front-end shops know of this? Most
of them will set the toe-in only 1/8 like most cars. This is the problem. I
think there might have been a service bulletin on this before the 62's came
out.

I set my 1964 Monza to 3/8 toe-in & have no more problems. It goes down the
highway straight as an arrow.

After driving a couple of thousand miles, there is absolutely NO tire wear, as
you would think with that toe-in. The car handles like it did when new.

Any Questions or comments on this topic.email or call me.

Email:  lambchop@wctc.net

Website: www.angelfire.com/co3/corvair