<VV> early vs late

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:02:53 -0500

Sure, since I posted the claim, I'll give you my views.

'64: Construction quality, fit and finish, chassis rigidity were top notch. Only bettered by the extremely well built '60 when considering earlies.  Design better
with the larger diaplacement engine and improved rear suspension.

'65: Design much improved (primarily to the rear suspension and availability of the 140) but put together more more "loosely". Fit and finish suffered as
compared to the '64 (likely due to building a substantially different car), the chassis was less rigid (part design, part build quality) and the car simply felt not
put together as well.

'66: Design improved even further (primarily a better transmission) AND the factory got their act back together in assembling the new cars. Fit and finish
seem much improved, chassis more rigid (than the '65, not better than the '64) , etc. Basically back up to the construction standards of the '64.

'67 was even better in fit and finish, but then focus shifted and '68's and '69's were well below the '65.

Now it could ALSO be that there were simply more 65's and I've seen more bad ones. I've dealt with a lot of Corvairs and you quickly get the subjective
feeling on whether a car is "good" or "bad".

 I've never dealt with a "good" 68, or '69, have dealt with only a few "good" 65's, '61s, 62's, only a few "bad" '63s and even fewer "bad" '64's and '66s,
but have never dealt with a "bad" '60 or '67.

Subjective? Probably.

Bill Elliott