<VV> Corvair up for auction Tomorrow - Greer, SC (CORSA)

BEllison@bbafiberweb.com BEllison@bbafiberweb.com
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 12:36:32 -0500

Scott Morehead - Thanks for the heads up.

I went to this auction house.  Getting there, about lost my front suspension
in my 84 CRX going over the wooden bridge crossing railroad tracks, but I
digress.

Found the car - pretty easy.  It's a 66 Corsa 4spd, trim missing or rusted,
rot in the doors, floors looked good, didn't put my foot on them - should
have.  All 4 tires flat.  Back driver panel dented, with paint and bondo
falling off.  Surface rust mostly.  Interior is toast.  Front window is
busted, rest of glass just extremely dirty.  Engine turns, very freely.
Someone had disconnected the gas line, attempting to crank it I assume.
Pretty clean engine - 66 linkage, with breather even.  :D  So, I walk inside
to find out what this is all about.  I'm gonna start at $25, that's
twenty-five.

They required a $200 deposit to participate, applied to the car of course,
so I laughed, and turned to walk away.  The little girl behind the counter,
said, "you've got some time if you want to find a bank?"  I said, no, the
car's not worth that, but will you take a check?  Nope.  Turned to walk
again.  Owner chimes in says, "We'll register you now, but you'll have to
come back and pay cash?"  I said, "Sure!"  I get my number.

I see the girls behind the counter are having computer problems, so I offer
my assistance, being a programmer.  Changed her display settings, and it got
better, but then we swapped monitors and all was good.  I made a joke about
earning my $200 deposit.  I walked out to peruse the other cars.  Asked one
lady that was talking to me earlier, how it works.  "There's a minimum bid
of $100, so it's at least $120 with our fee."  Seems they have a salvage
yard that has a standing bid of $100 on each and every car.  Oh well.  Left
them my #, and a max bid of $50.

Should I have stuck around and taken it for $125.  Just hate to see it get
crushed.  What do you guys think?  Private responses, and I'll summarize for
the list.  I probably would have, if I had the time to deal with it, and
part it out.  I didn't go to St. Augustine this weekend, thanks to work and
home duties - completely swamped.

Barry Ellison
Corsa SC VP
Corsa SC P - 2005