<VV> Blower bearing lube

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 20:33:25 EST

Some vendors sell a tool for lubing the bearing.  It's a thick steel disc
that has o-rings on the underside and a grease fitting on top.  The kit comes
with long bolts that hold the disc to the top of the bearing.  (You remove the
fan bolts and the long bolts go into their threaded holes in the hub.)  This is
done with the engine completely assembled (or any other condition).  I think
it will allow the bearing to be used indefinitely, assuming the bearing is in
OK shape to start with and the bearing seals are OK.  I think the normal course
of things is that, over time, the lube gravitates away from the bearing
surfaces over and that relubing puts grease where it's needed.

I haven't lubed EM rear wheel bearings using an installed grease fitting but
I have opened up the rivited style (61-2 car and 61-5 FC) and relubed those.
I think the Finch method is for the cast-iron style 63-4 bearings, am I right?
 At any rate, relubing the rivited style bearing is a well known and required
process for these totally obsolete bearings.
C. Nicol

<snip>
I'm very interested in knowing how to lube the blower bearing.  Does the
bearing need to be pulled off the shaft for this process?  Since mention of
a grease gun was mentioned, does a grease fitting need to be installed?

On a related subject. has anyone tried to grease their EM rear wheel
bearings, using the method described in Fitch's (How to Keep your Corvair
Alive)?  <unsnip>