<VV> Resurrection Blues

Stephen Upham contactsmu@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:34:10 -0600

	I took my finger and tried to move the piston rods to see if there was
any play.  #'s 1 and 2 are tight. #3 is toast.  This may be the "main"
cause of the debris.  #'s 4,5, and 6 had movement that was only
detectable by sound.  They will need to be replaced also I would
gather; or should I just do ALL of them?  Can I replace the rod
bearings while the engine is in the car and is this commonly done?  I
have (had?) brand new cast pistons from Clark's, newly ground
cylinders, and a complete set of main and rod bearings.  How do I go
about checking the main bearings?  Is there a "pull and push" test for
them or will I have to take the engine out?  Lastly, how the hell does
this happen to a new set of bearings with less than two hours of
service on them?  Did I not break it in properly?

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (now closer to 0)
Sierra Tan (originally, currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, w/ 77K
(and indefinitely holding)
(Back in group red : ( )