<VV> fuel pump push-ups - truth revealed! (?)

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:54:39 EST

All of this talk about damaging the fuel pump damage through manual
operation!  I just took a look at a pump and accessory housing from my parts supply.  I
don't think it's likely that one could damage the pump through manual
operation.

On the parts I have, the fuel pump is nearly bottomed on the accy housing
when it's locked in the normal position.  There's only about 0.025" additional
clearance.

When manually operating the pump, I think most people don't come anywhere
near bottoming the pump on the housing and even if they did, it would only cause
an additional 0.025" stroke and that would only be true if the pump eccentric
were at it's high point.

I have done "fuel-pump push-ups" without any ill effects since 1970.  I do
worry about damaging the o-ring and for that reason, I lube it before operating
the pump manually.

Feel free to use what ever method you prefer.  About half the time I do "pump
push-ups", the other half of the time I pre-fill the carb bowls through the
vent tubes using a pump-oiler filled with gasoline.
Craig (boom-boom)Nicol