Fwd: Brake Adjusters (was Re: <VV> Re: the find)

HallGrenn@aol.com HallGrenn@aol.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:05:37 EST

In a message dated 11/17/2004 11:57:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Jim.McLott@DOR.GA.GOV writes:

> virtualvairs@corvair.org

Jim,  The Velvetouch metallic shoes are manually adjusted to keep them from
contacting the drums when they are not being used for braking.  If metallic
shoes are used with the self adjusters the chances are good the shoes will be
"self adjusted" too close to the drums and will heat up everything.  This isn't
an issue with regular "street" shoes.  The self adjusters can't keep things as
evenly adjusted as you can when you manually adjust your brakes.  If this
seems like too much work (and, much as I love metallic brakes for fade free, panic
free braking, it is too much trouble for me now) then the Kevlar or premium
shoes are the way to go--and keep your self adjusters.

Bob Hall