More Response Re: <VV> Re: Turbo set up--was mileage

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:53:05 EST

In a message dated 11/17/04 5:05:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ncwitte@wittelaw.com writes:
<SNIP>
For example, I don't know how much of an effect I
will get from having the exhaust coated.  Will this result in a modest or
dramatic increase in boost?
<SNIP>

Norm,
    Well, many of the things you cite are difficult to quantify as to
results.  However, I can speak about what happened when I wrapped the crossover pipe
between the heads and the pipe going vertically into the turbo.  As measured
on my Sears "Tune-Up" gauge, boost increased from 8 psi to 10 psi driving up
the same long hill on the way to work over a number of days.  Also, the boost
"came in" a lot quicker, although I didn't make a specific measurement on that.
In order to evaluate that, you'll need a data logger device that can measure
the intake manifold pressure change and the time it takes to go from one
pressure to another when going up the same long hill.  Or perhaps a G-Tech Pro
accelerometer can give us the hard data to measure the improvement.
    Frank "still lots to learn" Burkhard