<VV> alternator fan/pulley removal

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:42:03 -0500

I have no impact wrench but, like anyone else, occasionally need the special
effects it delivers (impact). The poor man's way of doing this is to put a
short box-end wrench on and whack it smartly with a hammer. The first time
will NOT do it. That's why (real) impact wrenches deliver so many blows per
second. But you do NOT have to be as fast as that. Just set it up again and
whack it again. The fourth or fifth time will get it. Six-point box-ends
(rare) are better than 12-point for this.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Larry Forman
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2004 11:58 AM
To: joey4556@excite.com; VirtualVairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> alternator fan/pulley removal

Hi Joey,
It is right handed, normal, as I recall.  I had one member with this same
problem very recently and we finally used a Craftsman electric impact
wrench and that got it off.  The penetrating oil and a torch had no
effect.  I am a believer in impact wrenches now.  SAY!  Maybe I have a good
start on MY Christmas list!  LOL.
-- Larry