<VV> Turbo Setup

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:09:33 -0700

The waste gate on many newer cars & trucks is computer controlled.  My Ford
Powerstroke is solely computer controlled -- it used to be both computer
controlled and mechanically controlled, but somehow when I installed the
management chip, the boost hose got plugged ...

At 05:03 PM 11/17/2004, Sethracer@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/17/2004 3:48:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>RoboMan91324@aol.com writes:
>
>I have  been following this train with great interest as I am building two
>turbos.  As far as waste gates, it is my understanding that they are  not
>practical on the existing Corvair setup because the carb is upstream  in the
>flow.  As
>I understand it, a waste gate needs to be between  the compressor and the
>point
>where fuel enters the system otherwise, you  will be venting air/fuel
>mixture.
>That would get interesting pretty  quickly.  If I understand things, you
>would need to change pretty  much all of the Corvair intake components to do
>this
>as well as mods to  the exhaust side of things.  Am I correct?  As I see it a
>
>reasonable compromise between the stock unit and an intercooler is the
>addition
>of a water/alcohol injector.
>

>You have confused a waste gate and a pop-off valve. A proper waste gate
>vents exhaust gases from ahead of the exhaust turbine of the turbo. It is
>boost
>controlled (usually) and is operated by opening a valve in the tract between
>the  exhaust manifolds and the turbocharger exhaust housing. Less exhaust
>entering  the turbo - less compression on the intake side. Some turbos
>have integral
>  wastgates. The pop-off valve vents pressured air from the output side of
> the
>  Turbo compressor either into the air or back into the inlet side of the
>Turbo  compressor. You certainly don't want a pop-off valve venting a
>fuel-air
>mixture  to the atmosphere - Although the results might be spectacular to
>observe
>- from  a distance!! Only Fuel Injected cars (excepting, maybe, old
>dragsters, where  pop-offs would allow a backfire to vent and not launch
>the blower 150
>feet into  the air - Which many did anyway!) - anyway only Fuel Injected
>cars, or blow  through systems, where the Turbo pumps air only, can use
>pop-off
>valves. -  Seth

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html