<VV> Turbo Setup

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:03:22 EST

In a message dated 11/17/2004 3:48:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
RoboMan91324@aol.com writes:

I have  been following this train with great interest as I am building two
turbos.  As far as waste gates, it is my understanding that they are  not
practical on the existing Corvair setup because the carb is upstream  in the
flow.  As
I understand it, a waste gate needs to be between  the compressor and the
point
where fuel enters the system otherwise, you  will be venting air/fuel
mixture.
That would get interesting pretty  quickly.  If I understand things, you
would need to change pretty  much all of the Corvair intake components to do
this
as well as mods to  the exhaust side of things.  Am I correct?  As I see it a

reasonable compromise between the stock unit and an intercooler is the
addition
of a water/alcohol injector.

You have confused a waste gate and a pop-off valve. A proper waste gate
vents exhaust gases from ahead of the exhaust turbine of the turbo. It is boost
controlled (usually) and is operated by opening a valve in the tract between
the  exhaust manifolds and the turbocharger exhaust housing. Less exhaust
entering  the turbo - less compression on the intake side. Some turbos have integral
 wastgates. The pop-off valve vents pressured air from the output side of the
 Turbo compressor either into the air or back into the inlet side of the
Turbo  compressor. You certainly don't want a pop-off valve venting a fuel-air
mixture  to the atmosphere - Although the results might be spectacular to observe
- from  a distance!! Only Fuel Injected cars (excepting, maybe, old
dragsters, where  pop-offs would allow a backfire to vent and not launch the blower 150
feet into  the air - Which many did anyway!) - anyway only Fuel Injected
cars, or blow  through systems, where the Turbo pumps air only, can use pop-off
valves. -  Seth