<VV> Re: Turbo Setup

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:13:18 -0700

Mine is mostly a bone stock 62 ... gets plenty of boost in 1st gear.  I
think the smaller engine size helps get boost up faster.

Waste gates will get less common as newer cool stuff comes along. The new
Powerstroke has computer controlled vanes inside the turbo!  They lay flat
when there is no boost so that the turbo can spin up quickly (less
resistance) , then they lay back up to give full boost, and flatten again
to stop over boost!

At 06:45 PM 11/17/2004, Frank F Parker wrote:
> > turbos.  As far as waste gates, it is my understanding that they are not
> > practical on the existing Corvair setup because the carb is upstream in
> the flow.  As
> > I understand it, a waste gate needs to be between the compressor and
> the point
> > where fuel enters the system otherwise, you will be venting air/fuel
> mixture.
>
>No, wastegate is teed into the exhaust tubing before the turbine inlet and
>bleeds off any excess exhaust that would cause overboost. It is critical
>to modern turbo performance. Virtually ALL turbos in the last 20 yrs use
>either an internal ot external wastegate. You need the proper turbine
>section to work well. That why , if u are going to use the old vair
>turbos, I suggest you ask Warren since he has done it and can tell use the
>best combination of stock turbine and compressor and carb to use.
>With a wastegate, u can have good boost in 1st gear. Without a wg, on a
>stock system, if u bought a Rajay turbine section of smaller a/r cross
>section to give u 1st gear boost, it would overboost in the higher
>gears-possibly 15-20 psi busting parts. The wg vents this excess exhaust
>using a bypass back into muffler. Sounds like a free lunch, but it is not
>cause there will be more turbine backpressure. It is a serious task to
>figure out the best turbine to use or one has to try one, test results and
>pick the best a/r.
>
>regards,
>
>frank

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html