<VV> Are Turbo Vairs worth having?

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:27:01 -0700

Seriously -- just do a few ignition upgrades and call it done.  Save a lot
of money and heartache (unless of course the mission is to tinker with it!).

A turbo vair from contemporary road tests did zero - 60 in the 11+ second
range.  If by some miracle you improved that by 20 percent (and that would
be a LOT for a street car) you would still be in the 9 second range.  This
means that most mini-vans and economy cars will blow you in to the
weeds.  I love my turbo, but I don't drag race anything because I
loose.  The fun is in driving some thing unusual, something that gets a lot
of people to stop and say hi whenever you park, something that looks and
sounds cool, and is engaging to drive.

PS -- yes you can get even more ... but the cost would be high, reliability
low, and it would not be very streetable.  A stock Mustang will do 0-60 in
under 6 seconds for under 25 grand ... I cannot imagine anything you could
do to compete with that at any price ... but even if you did it would not
be reliable as the Mustang get the mileage, have A/C, etc ...

At 09:21 AM 11/18/2004, you wrote:
>I just like showing off all of the shiny parts ;)
>
>Seriously though, is there a middle ground on upgrades to a stock turbo
>setup to get a little more oommph?  I noticed all of the coatings and head
>changes, but does anyone have a recommendation on what to do to just get
>the most out of what's already there?
>

>I also noticed that (or didn't see) any suggestions on the cam if you're
>doing a rebuild of a turbo engine.
>
>Regards,
>
>Lou

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html