<VV> Are Turbo Vairs worth having?

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:30:57 -0700

Mufflers were restrictive on purpose ... imagine trying to build pressure
in a chamber ... the more flow out of the chamber, the harder to build
boost.  The mufflers were set to be the "correct" restriction given the
input (carb).  If you change to a less restrictive muffler and that is all
you do, you will certainly not have good boost.  If you also increase input
(such as Weber, etc) then you need a free flowing muffler ... but you are
in the experiment zone.

At 10:04 AM 11/18/2004, Rick Loving wrote:
>For the stock set-up with marginal changes to get better than stock...
>
>1.      Wrap exhaust with header wrap (will dramatically shorten life of
>exhaust but will spool up turbo much quicker.  I would high-temp coat
>a back-up set for when these fall apart or high-temp coat first.
>2.      Completely seal exhaust system, weld/sealer/wrap what ever
>needed,         even the tiniest leak will increase lag and limit
>overall boost.  Heat    cycles will work exhaust loose so periodic
>checks are necessary.
>3.      Dale advance/retard distributor
>4.      65-66 Carter turbo carb (if EM)
>5.      hottest coil/premium wires/good plugs
>6.      Free flowing turbo muffler (definitely if EM, EM very
>restrictive)
>7.      Free flowing air cleaner filter
>
>Most of the built in safeguards from the factory to reduce the chance of
>the engine being abused was the carb and exhaust.  They were designed to
>limit the amount of air in and exhaust out in order to keep the HP
>generated within limits.  With modification just to allow the engine to
>breathe in and out better you will see an improvement in boost.  The
>other thing is to improve non-boost power as the 150 and 180 are
>basically a 80hp and 95 hp motor until boost is reached.
>
>If you wanted to go farther, then go with
>
>1.      Safeguard
>2.      EM/LM turbo housings
>3.      95 heads
>4.      Water injection
>5.      wastegate
>6.      Forged pistons
>

>Rick Loving

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html