<VV> Are Turbo Vairs worth having?

Rick Loving ral1963@earthlink.net
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:04:15 -0500

For the stock set-up with marginal changes to get better than stock...

1.	Wrap exhaust with header wrap (will dramatically shorten life of
exhaust but will spool up turbo much quicker.  I would high-temp coat
a back-up set for when these fall apart or high-temp coat first.
2.	Completely seal exhaust system, weld/sealer/wrap what ever
needed, 	even the tiniest leak will increase lag and limit
overall boost.  Heat 	cycles will work exhaust loose so periodic
checks are necessary.
3.	Dale advance/retard distributor
4.	65-66 Carter turbo carb (if EM)
5.	hottest coil/premium wires/good plugs
6.	Free flowing turbo muffler (definitely if EM, EM very
restrictive)
7.	Free flowing air cleaner filter

Most of the built in safeguards from the factory to reduce the chance of
the engine being abused was the carb and exhaust.  They were designed to
limit the amount of air in and exhaust out in order to keep the HP
generated within limits.  With modification just to allow the engine to
breathe in and out better you will see an improvement in boost.  The
other thing is to improve non-boost power as the 150 and 180 are
basically a 80hp and 95 hp motor until boost is reached.

If you wanted to go farther, then go with

1.	Safeguard
2.	EM/LM turbo housings
3.	95 heads
4.	Water injection