<VV> Yet more turbo hand-wringing

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:41:04 -0700

For my super charged car I installed Otto valve cover breathers, requiring
removing the heat shield.  It has gone 8,000 miles or so with no noticable
ill effects.  I think the main problem is that the gasket seals on the
covers may not last as long (it is what I hear, anyway).  But so far, no
problems.

At 11:50 AM 11/20/2004, Norman C. Witte wrote:
>Now we're getting into really minor stuff, but I was looking at the Clark's
>valve covers, and they look way cool, but you have to lose the right side
>heat shield to use them.  So I was wondering if I am going to end up with
>more heat on that side, leading to more trouble than it's worth.  Also, I
>have a set of used Ottos.  Do I have to lose the heat shield to use them.
>Anyone got a set of used Clarks they want to swap?  They go for about the
>same $$ in the Clark's catalog, but I plan on using a Clark's pan.
>
>Or maybe I will just use the stock covers....
>
>So I have had some off-list discussions about all of this which were pretty
>interesting.  I have a recommendation from a credible source that I should
>stick with the stock distributor, get 95 smog heads, use the Dale adv/retard
>with the Safeguard because the Safeguard doesn't kick in until 1,200 RPMs.
>
>Jet-Hot coating for the whole exhaust system looks to be about $300; I like
>that they coat the inside and outside, and that they do two coats.  I'm not
>interested in coating the outside only.
>
>Norm

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html