<VV> Are Turbo Vairs worth having? (Off list)

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:19:04 -0500

>Thanks ... I really enjoy my vairs and drive them a lot.  I just don't try
>to pretend it is because they are fast ... I lost interest in fast cars 10
>years ago when I bought a Cadillac Eldorado with the Northstar.  It ran up
>to just over 155 here in the desert and was boring to do so.  It was so
>well mannered, still had a/c on, quiet, etc.  I could even set the cruise
>control up to 155!  0-60 was in the 6 second range without any talent (push
>pedal and let the electronics handle the wheel spin).
<snip>

Eric has it exactly right. If you just want acceleration, there are lots better ways to go than a Corvair. People didn't buy them then fro straight line
performance and that's still not their strong point.

My Northstar Allante is darn quick and can cruise in truiple digits all day long... but even with capable ahndling and brakes, it's not nearly as much fun to
drive as my Corvair or my Mini. Traditionally sports cars have not been blindingly fast... MGs or Triumphs which were concurrent with the Corvair are
considerably slower than a 'Vair... and my Mini Cooper S is even slower.  Aston Martins of the era were considered hot with a zero-60 time of just over 9
seconds... even the hot Ferrari Daytona is only a half-second faster to 60 than my Allante.

I did drive a quick Corvair today... I was putting the race car up for the winter, so I fitted a SuperTrapp muffler (actually made it about as loud as my driver
Corvair) and drove around the neighborhood to get everything nice and hot.  With the quiet(ish) exhaust you could hear the Webers really moan.
Awesome fun!

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD