<VV> Are Turbo Vairs worth having? (Off list)

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:58:30 -0700

Thanks ... I really enjoy my vairs and drive them a lot.  I just don't try
to pretend it is because they are fast ... I lost interest in fast cars 10
years ago when I bought a Cadillac Eldorado with the Northstar.  It ran up
to just over 155 here in the desert and was boring to do so.  It was so
well mannered, still had a/c on, quiet, etc.  I could even set the cruise
control up to 155!  0-60 was in the 6 second range without any talent (push
pedal and let the electronics handle the wheel spin).  My diesel
Powerstroke pickup would out drag most any vair (350+ hp and 700 lb/feet
torque).  At maximum boost it puts out 28-30 lbs!  Yikes!  The problem is
that modern fast cars are too fast to actually drive at speed on public
roads.  And, with the computers doing all the thinking for the brakes and
wheel spin and handling (stability control is cool), the excitement is gone
from fast.  My Corvair at 80 with the top down is MUCH more exciting and
just about as fast as I would ever want to go in the old car.  And since
the speed limit is 75 here, I won't land in jail :-)