<VV> Turbo Mufflers

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:47:47 EST

In a message dated 11/21/04 1:33:25 PM US Mountain Standard Time,

Hi Everybody,
I respectfully and strongly disagee with what Flash says below, and with
several other similar comments.

First, you are not trying to build pressure in the exhaust system. You want
to build pressure in the intake system. The exhaust system should flow as
freely as possible with as little back pressure as possible. You want to move the
exhaust gases past the turbine, not bottle them up with restrictions. This
means a low restriction free flowing muffler.

Next, although you may not know it, Chevrolet went to great lengths to have a
new free-flowing, low back pressure muffler designed for the Corvair turbo
engines. In fact the Corvair turbo muffler set a new record for achieving these
goals. The Corvair turbo muffler was so successful in achieving high flows
with low restriction that it became a mainstream item, and copied by all muffler
manufacturers. Putting turbo mufflers on all cars became a national craze for
a while back in the 1970s with several articles published in the popular car
magazines comparing various turbo mufflers for ability to flow freely with
minimum back pressure.

Of course that was a few years ago, and certainly muffler technology has
advanced so that even freer flowing mufflers might be available today. But that
doesn't change the fact that the original Corvair turbo muffler was a milestone
in low restriction and free flowing exhaust.

Regards,
Bob Helt