<VV> Was alternator fan/pulley removal now poor man's

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:54:45 EST

Hi Bob,

I agree that the impact wrench is a better way to get the nut off the shaft
of the alternator as opposed to a hammer and box wrench.  However, the box
wrench isn't bad if you use it with the Allen wrench and vise as suggested in
other postings.  The radial side load caused by the hammer on the box wrench is
counteracted by the opposite side load on the Allen wrench against the vise.  Of
course, the impact of the hammer on the box wrench needs to be at a tangent
to the alternator's shaft rotation.  You get the most effect from the impact
and the least side load that way.  The vibration caused by either the
hammer/wrench or impact wrench isn't the best thing for a bearing but the bearings are
pretty robust and can take it pretty well.  The best way is if you can put the
alternator in a vise (or still mounted in the car) and use the Allen wrench
and box wrench without the use of a hammer.  If you have a combination wrench, I
would put the box end on the nut and use a second wrench on the box end to
extend the leverage.  Don't tighten the vise too much or you will mark up or
even crack the alternator housing.

Doc