<VV> RE: Instrument Panel Lens

John Dozsa jdozsa@carr.org
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:51:33 -0500

Small quantities of the original pointed shape lens can be easily made
using vacuum forming techniques.  Basically a clear PETG copolyester
sheet is heated with a sun lamp until it droops over a mold.  The mold
is frequently made of wood and has a matrix of holes drilled in it.  The
holes are manifolded to a vacuum source.  As the drooping sheet touches
the mold the vacuum sucks the pliable plastic to shape of the mold.
Manual moving of the heat lamp allows you to soften the plastic where
needed.  Think of what happens to the clear disposable bakery food
containers when you put them in the dishwasher.  They just droop from
the heating element.  It's the same idea except the softened plastic
takes the shape of the mold.  You can make a mold using bondo plastic
and the original lens coated with mold release.  The inlet side of a
garage air compressor will make more than enough vacuum when stored in a
receiver tank.

Trim the formed sheet as needed with a hot knife and apply lettering
with an artist's brush.

John