<VV> Instrument panel lens, another reason to do it...

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa@shaw.ca
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:06:34 -0800

Craig, et al

I actually seconded the issue because I'd like to entirely redo my Corsa dash, not just the speedo.  I suspect that if a blank lens could be made up that getting whichever letters/numerials you want re-embossed might not be all that difficult or expensive.  WCC had laser engraved trophies made for CTD, and I suspect that having the same process done to a lexan lens wouldn't be all that different.

I had always thought milling a block of lexan on a lathe would be the way to get the basic shape, but John Dozsa's suggestion of vacuum forming is certainly intriguing.

Regards,
Joel

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of NicolCS@aol.com
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 10:43 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Instrument panel lens, another reason to do it...

This metric speedo thread is interesting. Along a similar vein, I was
investigating re-lettering of the lower center instrument lens (fuel / vacuum) to
change the vacuum side to oil pressure markings.  Remember the Communique
tech-tip I did on the installation of an oil pressure gauge in place of the vacuum
gauge?  I was looking at silk-screen printing the lens with the correct marking,
but never progressed beyond the talking stage.  Anyone have a silkscreen
contact "up their sleeve"?  I watched an artist make one and use it. It was pretty
straightforward, as I recall. (though it always looks easy when an expert is
doing something)
Thoughts anyone???
Craig Nicol