<VV> RE: "MUST be an overhaul"

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:16:16 -0500

The best rundown I've seen, at least in a Corvair context, of the different
degrees of mechanical intervention that one might subject a Corvair engine
to, is in Bob Helt's Classic Corvair. Complete with budgets and parts
requirements, and explanations of HOW TO DO any/all of it.
     You should own and read this book whether you ever pick up a wrench or
don't. bobhelt@aol.com

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of srmarti
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 2:31 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> RE: "MUST be an overhaul"

Is there really an accepted or "legal" definition of an overhaul or a
rebuild?

As I see it, it's a problem of semantics.  One must know what's accomplished
during an overhaul, rebuild, or remanufacture.  The actual work is what
matters, not what you call it.

For example, I fix musical instruments.  What some people call an overhaul,
I would call playing condition.  Some include refinishing as part of the job
and some don't.

Best course is to know what they're actually going to do and then decide if
that's sufficient for your needs.  I guess I would also like to know the
reputation of the rebuilder to help make a decision.  You can probably get a
good idea of material cost going through vendors catalogs or online.  Then
there's labor...

Steve Marti