<VV> 180 block for a late 140 eng

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:28:54 EST

Hi Dick,

You can interchange pretty much any LM crankcase (block) with another LM.
The 180 crankcase is more valuable only if someone wants to have a numbers
matching engine.  The same thing goes with 140s, 150s and possibly others for the
hard core "numbers matching" guys.  If it is for your own use, and you don't
care about resale, just make the change.  If you want to resell it at some
point, having a 180 crankcase with 140 parts might lead someone to ask himself what
other mismatched parts might be in there.  Check to see if any of the
journals show evidence of a spun bearing or other damage.  You also need to see if
the two halves of the 180 match up.  I believe that they were align bored and
machined as a set at the factory.  You may have a half from one engine with the
stamped number on it and a half from some other engine.  Bolt the halves
together to see if the upper and lower surfaces were machined together by running
your fingernail over the clean line between them.  The same thing goes for the
points where the halves meet in the bored holes for the crank and cam.  Even a
slight misalignment in the crank and cam holes can be catastrophic while a
slight step in the upper and lower gasket surfaces can cause leaks.

Doc