<VV> Virginia Strikes Again (long)

Hubert A Smith vairologist@juno.com
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:45:28 -0800

Smitty Says:  And we have here a blind obedience to the finest letter of
the law.  Took Spike to get his annual State safety inspection.  Heard
lots of banging in the area of my car so I went to see what was
happening.  The man had the front wheel off and was wailing away at the
front drum in an effort to get it off so he could check the brakes.  You
Early owners know that the hub and drum are one piece on our cars.  I
objected to him beating the hell out of, not only my cast drum but also
the tiny outer bearing in the hub.  I knew right then that if he could
find a reason to fail my car, he would.  He failed it for the rear shocks
being shimmed between the lower forks and the control arm in order to
limit down travel and axle jacking.  (Only enough to meet design specs).
This was identified as a modification to the suspension.
        Before I have to listen to a bunch of c**p about buying original
equipment shocks I must tell you that OEM shocks will not do the job on a
race car.
        In order to get the car passed I removed the shims, got the
decal, and replaced the shims.  The State Police are backing the
inspector in his evaluation of what is a modification.  In order to get a
pound of flesh for the guy messing with me I am turning in a formal
complaint against him for beating on my car.  At that time I will be
checking into any appeal process available concerning the suspension
question.
        Why do you care?  You might be the next victim of a blind
ignorant bureaucracy.  Be on guard