<VV> Virginia Strikes Again

Gary Swiatowy mopar@jbcs2.net
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 06:47:00 -0500

Most likely the "law" will support that shims on the shocks as a
modification. And technically will be considered unsafe.
Of course most inspection regulations are very general in nature and open
for some interpretation...............

As for the beating on the drum, No matter what the shops rules, I would not
let one of my classic cars be worked on without my watching unless I trusted
the mechanic. Nowadays he was probably suprised to find a car with drum
brakes on the front and treated it like the rare occasions he has seen rear
drum brakes..............

Gary Swiatowy

> From: Hubert A Smith <vairologist@juno.com>
> Subject: <VV> Virginia Strikes Again (long)
>
> Smitty Says:  And we have here a blind obedience to the finest letter of
> the law.  Took Spike to get his annual State safety inspection.  Heard
> lots of banging in the area of my car so I went to see what was
> happening.  The man had the front wheel off and was wailing away at the
> front drum in an effort to get it off so he could check the brakes.  You
> Early owners know that the hub and drum are one piece on our cars.  I
> objected to him beating the hell out of, not only my cast drum but also
> the tiny outer bearing in the hub.  I knew right then that if he could
> find a reason to fail my car, he would.  He failed it for the rear shocks
> being shimmed between the lower forks and the control arm in order to
> limit down travel and axle jacking.  (Only enough to meet design specs).
> This was identified as a modification to the suspension.
<snip>