<VV> Rotisserie

Mark Chapman chapmanmd@charter.net
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 7:17:27 -0600

I could not agree more that the rotisserie is the way to go, if you truly want to be able to do a full resto. Im just still more than a little cynical about my car at this point. As I've said way too many times before, mine was put on the frame rack and then the rotisserie for what I thought was a quick, one month in and out body job. Well, a year later, the body is done, albeit not yet painted. I ended up finding way more than I wanted to "wrong" with the car. Had I just jacked it up and crawled under it, I may have just said to myself, "Its ok for a driver." But once I had the car on its side/top, it seemed there was no turning back. If youre doing a vert and you have ANY questions as to integrity of your rockers, I would rethink the rotisserie until they are completely redone (dont ask me how I know  :o)) Frame racks at that point will become your best friend if you want it done right because youre pretty much cutting the car in half at that point. I was just lucky enough!
  to have gotten some free garage space for the past year in a garage that had a rotisserie and a frame rack that I could use while I worked on the car.

Many very wise men on this list have given one very sage piece of advice: "Buy a rust free body or one that is already done." Man, I, and my checking account, wish I would have listened.

In any event, enjoy your Corvair for what it is and for the purpose for which it was intended: to be driven, not holed up in a garage for a year or more.

Mark "why the hell do I do everything the hard way" Chapman