<VV> "Unsafe at Any Speed" - Good Corvair Story

Turbovert@aol.com Turbovert@aol.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:22:49 EDT

I told Sarah Jones this story on the phone this morning, and she insisted
that I share it on VV:

Yesterday afternoon, I drove "RALFWHO", my restored '65 Corsa  Turbo/vert, to
Downtown Detroit to a Tigers afternoon game. I had  one of my Class of '65
friends with me, and we were meeting up with a couple  other aging classmates
for a Ferris Bueller kind of day off.
I normally don't do the Detroit freeway system in this car, but it was a
nice day, and, what the heck, my 1965 classmates would get a kick out of  it...

Exiting the southbound Lodge Freeway onto the eastbound Davison (freeway),
the Chevy pickup 75 feet in front of me on the ramp suddenly stopped turning
with the ramp curve, and went straight into the concrete wall, spraying sparks
metal and plastic. It hit the wall two more times before rolling over on its
side. I managed to steer clear of  the debris unscathed, pulled up in  front
of the wreck and stopped to offer aid and a 911 call. My buddy helped the
(unhurt) driver out of the truck and we all waited for the State Police to  come.
The driver did not appear to be impaired in any way, and finally said to us
that "he saw  this really cool car - me - in his rear-view mirror,  and drove
off the road looking at it".
We promised him that this story would not get to the State Trooper, but I
didn't promise him that I wouldn't share it with a few of my internet Corvair
friends.
Never realized how unsafe these cars can be!

Mike Harrison
Farmington MI