<VV> First-timer with Directional switch question

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:30:14 -0400

Let me guess . . . you're over 40, and can't see quite as well as you used
to?
     Or, your car is outside under a tree, and you work in poor light in the
best of conditions.
     There's a little wire ring snapped into a groove that runs around your
steering shaft. This ring keeps the bearing (and everything under it) from
coming out. Get a STRONG light in there and/or use a magnifying glass to see
this little devil. It's pretty hard to get out, too, A very small
screwdriver can do it, but my favorite tool is a pick (they sell pick sets
at hardware stores). The best pick to use is the little right-angle pick.
You can "roll" this wire out of its groove starting at one end and, if you
don't let it fly away from you under its spring tension, it's quite
reusable, as well. Make sure not to mangle it upon removing it, of course.

Joe Potts (59 years old, and fading fast)
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

PS  Your steering shaft is kept pulled in by a spring on the other side of
the toe pan. If you pull it toward you, you will gain better access to that
little wire ring (especially helpful for putting it back in). TIP: to hold
that steering shaft out with ONE HAND, get a 9/16 box-end wrench and place
this over the steering shaft. Then screw the shaft's nut down over the
wrench. Now you've got a nice handle on that shaft that will enable you to
control it quite easily.